Saturday, January 26, 2008

Finally, I'm able to take some time to update the blow with some old info.

Beer nr 4, Honeybeer

This is something I found in the 1616 cook book. And I had some “old” honey left over from an old experiment.

I started with boiling 2.7 liter of water with 13gr of hops. I let it boil for about 30 min. I then strained it through a fine cloth. Next I dissolved 500gr of honey in the hot water and brought it to a boil. I added a pinch of Irish moss and boiled it for about 15 min. I strained the brew through a new fine cloth and cooled it quickly. I added the juice of one lemon and water to make it 5 liter. The end result was a sweet lemonish brew with the gravity of 1035 ( that will make it about 7% strong). Lastly, I added some ale yeast to the brew.

End result: Very nice. at the last beer party, it was gone quickly. :)


By now, I have figured out that one of my brewing books has got it wrong. The alco table is wrong. I did not notice that some of the numbers are going the wrong way. I.e. the more “sugar” the less alcohol..... It is also based on weight, not volume. So the beers I've been making have not been about 4% as I initially thought, they have been 7% or more....

No wonder I could feel the beer “kick in” when having some..

No comments: