Lately, I’ve mostly been playing with the beer brewing.
The first experiment taught me a lot.
Malt selection is very important.
Amount of hops is VERY important.
Water quality is important.
Yeas selection is important.
Actually, everything is important.
The second and third test brews I did was based on the new pale and crystal malt I bought. I had to hunt around for a new supplier as our south island supplier currently doesn’t stock other than pilsner malt. The new supplier is about 3 times as expensive and is driving up the cost of the project a lot. L
I used a mix of 1.3 Kg of pale malt and 200 gr of crystal malt.
I ran it through the new grain mill to the level where it cracked most of the grains, but missed the odd grain.
I mashed at 66 degrees.
I then boiled the wort for one hour.
(I forgot to add Irish moss)
I then cooled the brew and added yeast.
(I forgot to take some away for carbonizing)
The brew produced about 8 litre with a gravity of 1030.
Mental note. Time to make a check list to avoid stupid mistakes.