Cutting or picking the barely is the easy part. Threshing (extracting the grain from the husks) is the really hard part. As the weather is still really crap, we have to work inside (my father-in-law is helping me). It is quite messy and dusty. As picking the grains out one by one manually takes a long time, I decided to try the medieval way of hitting the husks. I used my nunchucks as that is what they initially were used for.
To minimise the mess, I wrapped some of the husks in a towel.
As I was working on the table, I could not hit with the nunchucks as they were designed to be used. But hitting with both sticks still worked really well.
It did not take much work to get a the majority of grains to fall off the husks.
I removed all the main rubbish and put the rest in a bowl. Removing the chaff was easy. I went outside in a rain break and started to throw the contents of my bowl carefully into the air at the same time as I blew on it, then catching the grains in the bowl again. It only took a few turns to remove more or less all the rubbish.
The end result was nice and mostly clean grains.
All in all, I managed to get about a kilo of grains. Not much to brew on but I hope to be able to make a 5 litre batch from it.
Next will be the malting... Watch this space.