Tuesday, March 18, 2008

First batch for May crown

Last Sunday I did the first batch of beer for May crown. It is a nr "13" a variant of the popular 5.5. The batch was made from:
8.3 Kg Pale Malt
2.5 Kg Crystal Malt
185 Gr Hops (5.6% acid)

The first step is to grind all the malt. Bernard was not keen on grinding 70 Kg of malt so I purchased some attachments for our kitchen machine.


I forgot to take a picture before adding the malt to the chilly bin (eski if anyone from AU is reading ;) . In the bottom of the chilly bin is a hose that I have made a lot of small cuts in and to that I have connected an old shower hose without the internal. The hose is then connected to the tap on the chilly bin. This is to make it easier to separate the wash from the malt. Over the hose I put a piece of cheese cloth and a weight to keep it down. The 10 Kg and a bit of malt almost filled the bin when I had finished the grinding.


Once the grinding was done, I added 25 liter of 75 degrees Celsius water and stirred.
After 2 hours, I opened the tap and let the wash flow down in a barrel. I did this 3 times and got about 71 liter of 1030 wash. The wash was then put into the boiler and brought to a boil.



As soon as the boiling started, I added the hops. After 45 min I added some Irish moss to help with the coagulation of proteins (needed to make the beer clear). After another 15 min I turned off the power and let the wash rest for 30 minutes before starting the cooling.
As you can see in the picture below, one of the barrels is filling up.



The end result was 55 liters of 1041 that is now fermenting. I had a small sample today, so far so good.

No comments: